Nicolas ‘axeman’ Walters Fight vs Santos Off Due To Illness

Nicholas ‘The axeman’ Walters has suffered a big setback as he seeks to re-ignite his career after suffering his first defeat last year.

Walters was due to face Mexico’s Arturo Santos in an eight-round junior lightweight bout on the undercard of the Terence Crawford-Julius Indongo undisputed junior welterweight world championship fight that headlines the Top Rank ESPN card (10 p.m. ET) at the Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Walters, 31, was training in Panama when he called Moretti on Tuesday morning just before he was supposed to fly to Nebraska.

“Walters is off the show. He called us and told us he had a 101 degree temperature and was sick all weekend,” Moretti said. “He said his family has been sick and he caught it. He didn’t get better over the weekend and he sounded like a guy who had a 101 degree temperature, so I told him to do what you have to do to get better and we’ll reschedule for later in the year.”

Walters who lost to Vasyl Lomachenko last November in Las Vegas, will now only step into the ring on one occasion this year having been scheduled to fight twice.

Meanwhile, Indongo will enter the contest with a record of 22 and 0 with 11 knockouts, while Crawford is 31-0, with 22 ko’s.



Leave a Reply

Notify of
avatar
500
wpDiscuz

Recommended